Provide environmental compliance support to the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) West Valley Demonstration Project (WVDP) located in West Valley, New York. Review regulatory reports prepared by the WVDP prime contractor for accuracy and completeness on behalf of DOE. Conduct audits and surveillances of WVDP prime contractor activities for compliance with the New York State Department of Environment and Conservation (NYSDEC), U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), and Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) requirements. Prepare audit and surveillance reports of observations and findings for DOE. Prepare technical position papers, briefing materials, and presentations on behalf of DOE for WVDP stakeholders including regulatory agencies, DOE management, congressional staff, public media, and the general public.
Essential Job Duties:
- Perform surveillances for compliance with site permits and regulatory requirements (e.g., RCRA, CWA, CAA, etc.)
- Develop lines of inquiry for the annual environmental audit and prepare the annual environmental audit plan
- Participate in compliance audits (e.g., annual ISMS audit, safety audits)
- Assist the WVDP prime contractor with annual updates to the Site Sustainability Plan and Sustainability Dashboard
- Review the annual Site Treatment Plan for compliance with the Federal Facilities Compliance Act (FFCA)
- Review annual update of the Hazardous Waste Report for RCRAcompliance
- Review quarterly spill report
- Review input to the annual Environmental Management System update
- Review the Annual Site Environmental Report for compliance with DOE 231.1B
- Plan and prepare materials (e.g. presentations) for regulatoryroundtables and other regulator meetings
- Assist the WVDP prime contractor with stakeholder site tours and visits
- Review and/or prepare presentations for the Citizen Task Force (CTF) monthly meetings and the Quarterly Public Meetings; make a record of public comments and meeting questions; review and edit CTF meeting summary reports;
- Support special projects, such as:
- Investigations of employee concerns or DOE safety concerns
- Participation in task teams (e.g. Main Plant Process Building end state and disposition of Tank liquids)
- Prepare topical papers [e.g. storage and shipment of canisters of vitrified, commercial high-level radioactive waste (HLW) in a multi-purpose canister (MPC) over pack configuration]
- Prepare applications for environmental awards
This position requires a Master Degree in Mathematics, Engineering, Physical Science or related technical degree and a minimum of 15 years of demonstrated regulatory compliance experience. Years of directly relevant WVDP and/or regulatory compliance experience may be considered in lieu of an advanced degree. The position requires knowledge of hazardous waste business practices related to storage of hazardous wastes. Knowledge and experience dealing with compatibility issues related to storage of hazardous wastes is required. A general knowledge of hazardous materials storage requirements is also required. The position requires Occupational Health and Administration (OSHA) 40-hour Hazardous Waste Operations (HAZWOPER) training. Preferred candidates will possess an active DOE security clearance or, at a minimum, meet all requirements necessary to obtain a DOE security clearance.
RSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer: Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran
If you would like to apply for an open position with RSI or submit a general application, please click here.